08 March, 2013

Notoxbox - March, 2013

 

Notoxbox shipped first of all the boxes this month.  It was pretty heavy again, but the product that made it heavy wasn't very exciting.  There were some other more interesting goodies inside though.  Here's what I got:



Amazonia Raw Food Bar in Berry Burst (full size)

My favourite from the box was this bar.  It actually tasted very good and there were no dodgy ingredients at all.  These are pretty expensive, they retail for $3.95 each, though the ingredients they use are expensive so it's not suprising.

Argital Clay Mask (deluxe sample size)

I decided not to try this mask on my face, as the instructions said that "sensitive skins may experience a light tingling sensation or reddening".  My cheeks and nose are red enough naturally and I absolutely don't want to add to that.  Luckily this product also included instructions for use on hair, legs and feet.  All of the applications except the feet needed me to add extra ingredients (honey and oil for the face, orange oil for the body and jojoba oil for the hair).  The instructions for feet suggested lavender oil which was the only one I actually had on hand, so I went with that option.  This seemed a bit fiddly for me.  I'd rather have the whole product mixed together and ready to use, or at least receive a sample of the other necessary ingredients to mix myself so I have everything I need to try it.  Having to purchase extra products just to try this one defeats the purpose of the sample box really.  Anyway, I tried it on my feet.  It was really hard to get the clay to mix with the hot water, and I didn't really manage to get it mixed thoroughly no matter what I did.  After soaking my feet in hot dirty water I was hoping for something miraculous to make up for the less than pleasant dirty water part of the experience.  Not so.  If anything, my feet felt drier than usual and I had to go and slather on some lanolin on my heels.



Weleda Almond Soothing Cleansing Lotion (deluxe sample size)

Another product for sensitive skin.  Yay!  This smelled of marzipan and felt super gentle when I used it, but afterwards I was horrified to see that my whole face was flaky.  I had done the suggested patch test the day before, so I was suprised to find this reaction.  Not a good fit for my skin type it seems.

Earthens Biodegradable Foodware (full size)

What an odd concept.  This company makes bowls from pressed leaves.  It actually looks pretty cool but I don't use disposable plates as it's just so wasteful.  The information card said "no need for disposable plastic again".  Well, no.  There is no need for disposable plastic but a different kind of disposable plate isn't the answer.  Just use a normal plate and wash it to reuse.  Seems simple enough.  The plate I received costs $15 for a pack 25.  My son was happy to receive this to use in his play kitchen so it didn't go to waste.  I do think there could be a place for these at large community events, it's just not something I would use in my home.



Vital Veggie Powder (sachet)

This was the bonus product that 3 and 6 month subscribers received.  It had all good ingredients and the concept is that you sprinkle it into your kids food to "hide" the veggies.  I'm not actually a fan of that general concept.  I have a fussy eater and it's tempting to hide spinach in his chocolate cake and so on, but if I do that he's not actually learning to enjoy spinach.  If he doesn't know he's eating it he may be getting the nutrients but he's not learning to enjoy the food.  So I don't think there's anything wrong with this product itself, the ingredients seem fine and I'm sure it won't do any harm, I'm just not keen on "hiding" vegetables.  I'd rather present them as the best part of the meal and let my fussy eater learn to enjoy them.

Eco Organics Brown Rice (full size)

I know brown rice is super healthy and I keep trying to like it.  I just... don't.  So I'm not too excited about this nice large heavy pack of biodynamic rice.  It ticks all the boxes, it's organic, biodynamic and healthy it's just not my personal cup of tea.

Sindhya Soap Nuts (sample size, enough for 4-6 washes)

I had a load of washing to do when I received my box, so I popped these straight in.  I couldn't actually get a look at what the soap nuts looked like as they were sewn into their little bag.   They seemed to work OK, though not quite as good as my usual powder as some food stains remained on my son's t-shirts that would usually come out in the wash.

Check out other bloggers reviews of this month's box:

No one seems to have reviewed this box yet.  Comment below if you have and I'll link to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment